About The Historic Stanley Home Foundation
Not surprisingly, the vision of the 1904 home of F.O. and Flora Stanley being converted to public uses through a non-profit organization has been discussed in the community over many years.
After all, it was from this magnificent home that the early 20th century development of Estes Park was greatly hastened by the Father of Estes Park, F.O. Stanley.
The four-acre site and the home have been very well taken care of in its 115-year existence, by its various owners. Because of that, the property is not only rich in local and regional history, but is also well-positioned to become a historic preservation that is very capable of sustaining.
In the fall of 2016, a Board of Directors was formed, to found The Historic Stanley Home Foundation, which is a Colorado non-profit corporation and a 501 (c ) (3 ), tax exempt organization.
The Board of Directors from late 2016 through this time, have been busily developing the organization to perform its stated mission, as follows:
The mission of The Historic Stanley Home Foundation is to purchase, renovate, preserve and operate Rockside, the F.O. Stanley home as a cultural center for local history education. The home will be an enduring reminder of the evolution and development of Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.
The Foundation’s operation is accomplished by a part-time staff CEO and a Board of Directors of seven individuals and dozens of volunteers who support our mission.
The Foundation has formed The Stanley Home Support Team, which will raise awareness of this important mission to our town and will participate in objectives to reach our ultimate goals.
Thanks to the generous support we received during our Acquisition Capital Campaign in 2019, the Foundation was able to achieve its first major goal of purchasing the Stanley home in February 2020. The Board of Directors looks forward to utilizing the historic building in the many ways that will bring benefits to both our residents and our many visitors.
We encourage you to donate to this project while we are preparing the home for tours. Please see our contact information to assist you in donating or go to the Donate Now tab on this website.
We look forward to this long-term mission of protecting and preserving a piece of Estes Park history, which is of great importance to honor the foremost leader in our town’s history.
The Historic Stanley Home Foundation Case Statement for Historic Preservation
The Board of Directors of The Historic Stanley Home Foundation, hereby asserts our position, that the fulfillment of the Foundation mission is of critical importance to our community, state and visitors from all places.
- The fabric of a community will not be fully complete, unless its history is sufficiently known and displayed.
- There is no greater contribution to the founding and development of Estes Park than that of F.O. and Flora Stanley, beginning in 1904.
- The home of the Stanleys is the most historically significant residence existing in Estes Park.
- Estes Park lacks significant recognition, preservation and exposure of any major historic residences at this time.
- The existence of a residence that can be experienced to feel history in person, will supplement the mission of our fine museum.
- Delaying the accomplishment of the Foundation mission now, places the long-term preservation of the home in danger of ever occurring.
- The relative feasibility of accomplishing the Foundation mission is high due to relative lesser funds needed than other very worthy projects.
- Significant funds from beyond Estes Park are excellent possibilities due to the prioritization of historic property preservation.
- As the Gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park with five million users annually, the Stanley Home would be of great interest to visitors.
- Numerous community uses for charitable, educational and philanthropic purposes would benefit our town and state.